Connect with us

Politics

Mali President, Boubacar Keita resigns after military mutiny

Published

on

August 19, 2020
Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita announced around midnight on Tuesday that he is resigning from his post saying that he does not wish blood to be shed following a military mutiny that plunged the country into a political crisis.
“Today, certain parts of the military have decided that intervention was necessary. Do I really have a choice? Because I do not wish blood to be shed,” Keita said in a brief statement broadcast on national television.

Keita said that he has decided “to give up my duty from now on.”
It is unclear if the military is now officially in charge of the country.
Earlier, Keita and Prime Minister Boubou Cisse were detained by soldiers in a dramatic escalation of a months-long crisis in the country.
The development came hours after soldiers took up arms and staged a mutiny at a key base in Kati, a town close to Bamako.
The soldiers were expected to deliver a statement later, while countries in West Africa, along with former colonial power France, the European Union and the African Union, denounced the actions of the soldiers and warned against any unconstitutional change of power.
The events came amid a weeks-long political crisis that has seen opposition protesters taking to the streets to demand the departure of Keita, accusing him of allowing the country’s economy to collapse and mishandling a worsening security situation.
Mali’s years-long conflict, in which ideologically-motivated armed groups have stoked ethnic tensions while jockeying for power, has spilled into the neighbouring countries of Niger and Burkina Faso, destabilising the wider Sahel region and creating a massive humanitarian crisis.
Earlier on Tuesday, opposition protesters gathered at a square in Bamako in a show of support for the soldiers, while foreign embassies advised their citizens to stay indoors.

2020 All Rights Reserved Citi Newsroom .
Mali President, Boubacar Keita resigns after military mutiny

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NDC government couldn’t complete major roads in Upper West, Upper East Regions – Bawumia

Published

on

Vice President, Mahamudu Bawumia has said the previous National Democratic Congress (NDC) government failed to complete major roads in some regions in the country. He said this at the government’s 3 town hall meeting and results fair held at the Ghana Academy of Arts and Science on Tuesday, August 18, 2020.
“Under the previous government, after eight years in office, they could not complete one major road in either Upper West, Upper East or Western North Region,” said the Vice President.

Dr. Bawumia revealed the government intends constructing the roads in these regions before the end of the year.
“Before the end of this year, we would have already constructed the Lawra road. We would have also completed the Bolga to Bawku road for Upper East. What we have done in four years is more than what they would have done than in eight years.”
Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia further said of 17,334 projects initiated by the government in various parts of the country, 8,746 of them have been completed while the remaining are ongoing.

He said the projects are in sectors including sanitation, agriculture, education, security, and sports.
“We have completed 8,746 [projects] and there is 8,588 ongoing,” Dr. Bawumia said.

Continue Reading

Politics

Alleged: President Akufo-Addo directs Martin Amidu to investigate Tracey Boakye And Mzbel

Published

on

President Akufo Addo has coordinated Special Prosecutor, Mr Martin A. B. K. Amidu to explore Kumawood Actress Tracey Boakye and artist Mzbel.


As per an announcement trending online caught on facebook by iReport.com.gh , so as to guarantee straightforwardness and find out if at any time there was any irreconcilable situation or utilization of state power in the acquisition of the supposed houses referenced by the Kumawood entertainer and Mzbel , the president has then decided to direct the special prosecutor to investigate the matter .

Continue Reading

Politics

Afia Schwarzenegger endorses ‘4 More For Nana’ campaign in a video

Published

on

Controversial Ghanaian TV personality and comedienne Valentina Nana Agyeiwaa who is popularly known as Afia Schwarzenegger has come out publicly to show her support for the ‘4 More 4 Nana’ agenda by the New Patriotic Party (NPP).
She was recently torn apart by Ghanaians for exposing her nakedness in a video that went viral on the internet. In a new video sighted by iReport.com.gh, Afia Schwarzenegger revealed that since her children have benefited from NPP’s Free SHS Policy and herself enjoying the free electricity and wat

er from the ruling government, she’s encouraging Ghanaians to give 4 more years for Nana Addo for him to continue the good works.

Source: ireport.com.gh

Watch the video below

Continue Reading

Trending

Contact Us On WhatsApp
%d bloggers like this: